I didn't know where else to put this but...

Player & weapon models/skins, crosshairs, and other add-ons

Moderator: Black Monk

Postby sambo » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:44 am

i thought that the client didnt need all the pk3 files that the server had, only the ones being used and that if the client tried to use any different pk3 files that the server didnt have it wouldn't allow them to connect or it would kick them or whatever it does to not let the client play.

someone who knows.. please clarify :oops:
sambo
Bacon Lover

Postby [CHAOS]Homicide » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:09 pm

I'm pretty sure you need every PK3 the server has.. this is why I can't ever play on Dutch Enemy RQ3, since it has the leaked old crappy version of Teamjungle, so no matter what map is being played, I can't play there.
[CHAOS]Homicide
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby MP*Birdman » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:15 pm

There is also a cap on how many pk3's you can have in your game directory. We hit the limit while we were working on 3.0, so a monthly pk3 (assuming new stuff every month) could fill things up quickly.
MP*Birdman
RQ3 Bacon Pope

Postby sambo » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:32 pm

curses.. there goes that idea :oops:
sambo
Bacon Lover

Postby Black Monk » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:28 pm

sambo wrote:maybe.. just maybe.. not all the people who read this board know how to make media for quake3 or have the time to. just because someone asks for something on this board doesnt mean they are asking the RQ3 team directly either and it especially doesnt mean they are complaining. Please do not try to categorize requests in this way.

True. However, I took Snake's comments as a direct "gimme gimme gimme" to us, not to the community in general. And hell, how hard is it to get a freeware graphics program and convert a pcx-format crosshair into a Q3-friendly tga-format crosshair? Even the console background ain't too hard. Did he do that? Did he post it anywhere for us to check out? Did he email it to any of us? No, no, and no. It's fine to ask for features but did he do that? No, he threw them in our faces as reasons why AQ2 is so much better than RQ3.

Give us something to work with and we'll try to improve things. Attack us and, eh, not worth our time.

sambo wrote:Now, correct me if i'm wrong here but since the last release an exorbitant amount of time has passed and we're still waiting.

Yeah, due to a complete restructuring of RQ3's pack structure and revamping of the media. Plus it took a while to put in code support for the features we wanted. This should not be the case for future releases.

sambo wrote:There is an alternative to this. Apparently, if i have a file, lets say a custom conback that i made, i can give it to a server admin and then i can use it on that server only. This seems extremely dumb to me. I dont know of any server admins except for cannonfodder (whose server has been virtually empty for the last 6 months) and I dont want to have to track down and send the file to every admin for every server that i want to play on.

We agree.

sambo wrote:I have a better idea. Lets get something like what Actors Guild was to aq2 up and running, as birdman mentioned. It would give people a specific place to send thier custom q3 media and would give server admins a place to get it. The thing is, aq2 probably didnt really need it as much as rq3 will. Instead of releasing all the weapon models, crosshairs, and etcetera with rq3 releases, which dont come very often, this Actors Guild type site can release a new .pk3 every month or so with a collection of all the new media that people made.

We'd love to but our web back-end guy ditched us to play golf. We've been planning on a Guild for ages but haven't had the resources to devote to bringing it online. Our current web focus is 1) www.rq3.com and 2) fixing the Backlot and Vault's back-end so we can start updating and maintaining the sites again.

Another issue is distribution. Server ops are lazy. They won't get Guild packs any more than they will get individual packs. With sv_pure this will lead to a bit of fragmentation in the community. This is why I feel that rolling content into official releases (3.1, 3.2, etc.) is the best route for distribution of new content.

sambo wrote:Maybe some people could even post tutorials, configs, new radio voices, whatever. This is just an idea and I dont know if it would be possible, feasable, or even worthwhile to follow through on but i think its definitly food for thought if nothing else.

We'd love that, eh! But for now we don't have the resources to put into it. It would be great to have the Guild as an interface between the RQ3 team and the RQ3 community.
Black Monk
Boomstick Studios
Boomstick Studios

Postby sambo » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:38 am

alright well i know snake started this thread but the discussion has progressed past his insulting expectations or whatever you wanna call it.. its definitley good to hear that future releases aren't going to take as long as this one... that really sucks about that guy ditching you guys.. i'm starting to learn some of that sort of thing but i cant take on a project of this size.. maybe in a few months who knows? you're probably right about the server admins and the community getting broken up and stuff.. this is such a shame... oh well.. what can i do? if i get a clear conback and my favorite crosshair to you by the end of the weekend could it be included in 3.0?
sambo
Bacon Lover

Postby Centurion » Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:02 am

Sorry the content has been frozen. But for the next one yes.
Reaction Quake 3 Mapper and keeper of the thwacking stick.
Centurion
RQ3 Team Member Cent

Postby Black Monk » Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:12 pm

Well, I'm assuming we'd have to add some code support for swapping console backgrounds, too. So we'll see where we want to put resources for 3.1. Since we're planning on a much quicker release for 3.1 than we did for 3.0, it'll be quite a bit tighter on what we can do.

So no promises but we'll certainly look into it.
Black Monk
Boomstick Studios
Boomstick Studios

Is this

Postby Paul650 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:01 pm

Is this what I think it is? ... Thats awesome!:)
Paul650
Bacon Factory

Previous

Return to The Guild Forum